Next time you think about drinking and driving (or driving high), think again! Being charged with a DUI/DWI can be inconvenient and stressful. And being convicted of such charges can be devastating. DUI/DWI convictions result in consequences such as exorbitant fines, jail time, loss of driving privileges, and much more. But more than just turning your life upside down, a DUI/DWI conviction in New York could severely hurt your family and loved ones. Keep reading to understand the negative impact your convictions could have and what you can do to prevent it!
- DUI/DWI convictions have the potential to land you in jail for many years. During this time you won’t be able to be present for your children, spouse, or other loved ones. Your family will suffer the emotional pain of your absence and the embarrassment associated with having a family member or significant other in jail. They will also carry the financial burden of your lost wages during your sentence.
- In New York (as in all states), DUI/DWI penalties are progressive. This means that the first DUI/DWI conviction you receive will significantly increase the penalties of any subsequent DUI/DWI convictions.
- Insurance rates can increase, meaning greater financial burden for your family. You will be labeled as a high-risk driver, meaning that your insurance rates can double!
- Child custody can be affected. Experts warn that you could lose custody of your child(ren) in light of a DUI/DWI conviction. Because judges make child custody decisions based on the “best interest of the child,” it’s common for criminal offenses to put your custody rights at risk.
- Multiple fines associated with your conviction can wreck a family budget and deplete savings accounts!
- Receiving a DUI charge and result in being fired from your job, which could cause your children and other dependents to suffer.
- Being arrested for DUI/DWI can cause problems even years down the road when you are looking for employment. Criminal records are public, and many employers will refuse or hesitate to hire you if you have a DUI/DWI on your record. Your opportunities will also be affected when it comes to obtaining professional licenses. Many licensing boards will not issue professional licenses (such as licenses for attorneys, doctors, dentists, nurses, pilots, police officers, firefighters, teachers, stockbrokers, etc) to people who have criminal records.
- DUI offenses often result in a judge ordering you to complete alcohol treatment programs, which can be quite costly.
- If you are in school or any kind of educational program, DUI/DWI convictions can cause you to lose any scholarships you might have. This can severely impact your future plans and opportunities.
- DUI/DWI offenses often result in the loss of driving privileges for a lengthy period. Having your license revoked means you will be limited in your abilities to commute to work, take your kids to school, buy groceries, visit the doctor, go on vacation, travel to see family, and other important activities. It can also create feelings of shame for your entire family. And of course, if your job requires driving, you will lose your job!
- The grief, shame, embarrassment, and ruined reputation that comes with a DUI/DWI offense can impact your entire family. Relationships can become strained or broken. Couples often separate. The emotional strain that a DUI/DWI conviction can bring to your entire family and community is difficult to measure.
- If you injure or kill someone while driving under the influence, your DUI/DWI conviction can easily escalate into a manslaughter or murder conviction. Imagine how your life would change…not only could you be facing decades in prison and hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines, you will suffer psychological damages that can impact your closest relationships.
How can you avoid these consequences? Let an experienced defense attorney fight to get your charges dropped or reduced!
When you are facing charges for DUI/DWI in New York, there’s more at risk than you might think! Act fast and get the help you need. Before talking to police, judges, or your insurance carrier, talk to a criminal defense attorney who cares about you!
Protect yourself and the most important people in your life by getting help with your DUI/DWI case. Legal assistance from a competent attorney could help you get your charges dropped or reduced. By reaching out for help, you can avoid the convictions that have the power to impact the rest of your life! You’re entitled to receive experienced legal aid! Contact Darren DeUrso at 914.772.8614 or online.
188 East Post Road, Suite 300
White Plains, NY 10601