Traffic Ticket Lawyers in White Plains, New York
A police office on the side of the road as he writes a ticket.
If you’ve received a traffic ticket in White Plains, New York, you have the option of fighting your violation or pleading guilty. While there are instances where it can save you time and money to just plead guilty, you should take the time to consider the real cost of pleading guilty before you do so. For example, in addition to fines and points on your driving record, you can face an increase in insurance. It is wise to consider the potential insurance hikes, fines, and long-term fees you may face. A traffic ticket lawyer in White Plains, New York may be able to review your ticket, the circumstances of your violation, and fight for you in court. Darren DeUrso: Attorney at Law may be able to get your charges dropped or reduced, decrease your fines, and limit the increases you may face in your insurance policy. Contact Darren DeUrso: Attorney at Law for traffic ticket help today.
By How Much Will a Traffic Ticket Increase My Insurance in White Plains, New York?
There are many factors that your insurance company takes into account when determining your insurance rates—these factors include your age, your address, and even your credit history. One of the major factors that your insurance company considers is your driving record—which includes the number of points on your driving record and whether you have received traffic tickets in the past. Having several traffic tickets on your record can increase your yearly insurance rate by hundreds of dollars. According to Forbes, even one violation can increase your auto insurance by as much as 22%. Among the citations that can most greatly increase your insurance rate, reckless driving can have the greatest impact on your insurance policy. Individuals can face a reckless driving citation for driving too fast for conditions.
Forbes took a look at the average increase a person could face to their auto insurance for various violations. A DUI can lead to a 19% increase, speeding can lead to a 15% increase, and ignoring a stop sign can increase your rates by 15%. If you consider these increases over the course of a year, they can result in a significant financial loss. While every insurance company will handle violations differently, even one traffic ticket can have a big impact on your yearly costs.
So, what should you do if you’ve received a traffic ticket in White Plains, New York? Before you plead guilty, contact the ticket lawyers at Darren DeUrso: Attorney at Law. Our firm can review the circumstances of your citation, fight your ticket in court, and may be able to help you lower your fines, points, and rates.
Do I Need Traffic Ticket Help in White Plains, New York?
The seriousness of your traffic ticket will depend on the nature of your violation and the number of points assessed for the given violation you have received. Drivers who amass 11 points or greater in an 18-month period could face the suspension of their license, according to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. Some violations, such as speeding, can result in an 11-point assessment. However, it is important to understand that no points are assessed until you are convicted of your traffic violation. Simply receiving the ticket doesn’t result in the automatic imposition of these charges. In other words, even with a traffic ticket, you are innocent until proven guilty. Just going to court to dispute your charges can result in your charges being dropped or lowered. Officers who cited you are required to prove that you were, in fact, in violation of the law.
If you are facing a speeding ticket, a reckless driving ticket, a failure to stop ticket, a failure to yield ticket, an improper passing ticket, an improper cell phone use ticket, or any other citation, you may be able to fight your citation in court. Darren DeUrso: Attorney at Law are traffic ticket lawyers in White Plains, New York who can help. Before you plead guilty, get traffic ticket help in White Plains, New York.
How a Speeding Ticket Attorney Can Help You in White Plains, New York
If you’ve been stopped for speeding, you may wonder whether you have to accept your ticket and pay up or whether you have options. There are several things you can do during and after your stop to protect your rights. Here are some things to consider:
- Be polite. If you are pulled over, pull over as soon as it is safe to do so. Keep your hands on the steering wheel and listen to the officer’s instructions. When speaking to the officer, don’t admit to speeding. If the officer asks you why you have been pulled over, you have the right to remain silent, or say you don’t know.
- You may be asked to sign the ticket. This doesn’t mean that you are pleading guilty in most states, but if you are unsure, ask.
- Consider hiring a speeding ticket lawyer in White Plains, New York. Darren DeUrso: Attorney at Law may be able to help you.
- Understand how court procedures work. Some areas will allow you to plea bargain and others will not. You may need to go to court armed with evidence to defend your case.
- Ask if a radar gun was used. Officers may use a radar gun to track your speed. If a radar gun was used, learn more about the way it works. This equipment must be regularly maintained. Ask for records of maintenance and see whether you may be able to fight your case based on the equipment used.
- Consider delaying your court date. If your officer doesn’t show up, your case will be dismissed. People are more likely to be away on vacation in the summer months, which might affect how your violation is handled.
If you have received a speeding ticket in White Plains, New York, you are innocent until proven guilty. Darren DeUrso: Attorney at Law offers traffic ticket help to those who are facing citations. Protect your rights. Contact our firm today.